I am a tenure-track assistant professor in the Data Science and AI division at Chalmers since January 2023. I head the AI Laboratory for Biomolecular Engineering (AIBE) in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering.
In August 2023, I will be recruiting for various positions in my group in Gothenburg. If you are a student/postdoc interested in doing research at the interface of machine learning and the life sciences in a vibrant and supportive environment, feel free to reach out via email to learn more about upcoming opportunities in my group and at Chalmers!
Previously, I was a postdoctoral associate in the Coley group at MIT, as well as an industrial postdoc in the Molecular AI team at AstraZeneca. Throughout my postdoctoral career, I worked on the development of deep generative models for small molecule drug discovery. Before AstraZeneca, I was a PhD student in Professor Berend Smit’s molecular simulation group at UC Berkeley and EPFL. I received my PhD in Chemistry from UC Berkeley in August 2018, and my BS in Chemistry from Caltech in June 2013.
I am Mexican-American, originally from Wilmington, California, but I fell in love with Gothenburg when I moved here for my first postdoc!
PC: Puikei Cheng
I can be reached at rocom [at] chalmers [dot] se.
- 23-09-12 - Our division is currently recruiting for a position at the assistant professor (FoAss) level at Chalmers. The position is for candidates working in the data-driven life sciences (and related) fields. Consider applying and come be our colleague! link to job announcement
- 23-08-25 - Our group is currently recruiting two postdocs! For details, check out our group page.
- 23-07-10 - Out of office July 11 - August 14. I will be slow in responding to email and prioritize communications from students. Thank you for your patience!
- 23-07-05 - Our perspective on data sharing in chemistry is now published in JCIM! If you’re interested in a (brief) history of data sharing in chemistry, and some steps we can take to improve the publication of chemical reaction data, then you’re in luck.
- 23-01-09 - First official day as an assistant professor at Chalmers!
- 22-11-07 - Our group website is up and running! Though we are still in the process of updating a few pages, feel free to start browsing our research interests and open positions.
- 22-11-06 - Our paper on graph-based de novo PROTAC design was accepted at the AI4Science NeurIPS 2022 Workshop. Congrats to our wonderful UROP student, Divya, who led this work!
Last updated 23-09-12.
In case you are wondering, here’s how to pronounce my name.